Carin Smit, M.Ed. NCR. Ther. I.E. & I.E. for the Blind, AIT Practitioner & International Practitioner Instructor, C/CMT
- 1980 – Bachelor’s Degree in Arts (Majors in Psychology and Education) – 13 distinctions
- 1981 – Post-Graduate Diploma in Higher Education – several distinctions
- 1983 – Bachelor’s Degree in Education (post-graduate qualification) – Distinctions in Educational Management
- 1992 – Master’s Degree in Education
- 1995 – Instrumental Enrichment & Instrumental Enrichment for the Blind (ICELP – Israel)
- 1997 – AIT Practitioner Certification (Dr. Guy Bérard)
- Introductory (1993), Advanced (1995) and Mastery Level (1999) Certification in Neuro-Cognitive Reconstructive Therapy (with distinctions), NILD, USA
- 2001 – Certified as International AIT Practitioner Instructor, Dr. Guy Bérard, France
- 2005 – Defeat Autism Now! Certification – Autism Research Institute,USA
- 2006 – Certified C/Clinical Metal Toxicologist with International Board for Clinical Metal Toxicology (IBCMT)
Rand Afrikaans University, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Departments of Education and Psychology – B.A., PGHED, B.Ed., M.Ed. – Rector’s List for one of top 1st year students (1978).
National Institute for Learning Disabilities, Norfolk, Virgina, USA
- Introductory, Advanced and Mastery Level Certification – with honours (1993 – 1999).
Autism Research Institute, Long Beach, California, USA
- Physicians Training 2005 – in Defeat Autism Now! Protocol
International Board for Clinical Metal Toxicology, Leende, Netherlands
- C/Clinical Metal Toxicologists’ Internship at International Bio-Medical Center, Leende, Netherlands, 2006
- C/Clinical Metal Toxicologists’ Medical Board Exam – successfully passed and certified – 2006
- Educator (1980 – 1986)
- Owner/Manager – Child Care Centre (1983 – 1995)
- National Volunteer Representative Manager Fundraising for Community Development projects in Southern Africa – World Vision (1986 – 1988)
- Neuro-Cognitive Reconstructive Therapist in private practice (1993 – 1996)
- National Institute for Learning Disabilities – invited to serve as ad hoc international trainer on their Professional Support Team (1997 – 1999)
- Director: National Institute for the Enhancement of Learning Potential (1996 – 2002)
- Consultant-at-large: South Africa, Ireland, Europe, rest of Africa (2003 – 2004)
- Defeat Autism Now! Practitioner and C/Clinical Metal Toxicologist in private practice (2005 – present)
Honours & Associations
- South African Association for Learning Disabilities
- International Association for Cognitive Education
- National Institute for Learning Disabilities
- National Institute for the Enhancement of Learning Potential
- International Centre for the Enhancement of Learning Potential
- National Institute for Learning Disabilities – Professional Support Team Member
- International Association for Bérard Practitioners
- Auditory Integration Training PRO
- On-Line Consultant for Parent Support Group – Detox My Child.org and AIT-Institute
- Auditory Integration Training International Practitioners’ Forum (Founding Member)
- Featured in interviews on Several South African Radio-stations in 1997- 2007 – interviewed about work with children with autism and learning disabilities.
- Her work was reported in Die Rooi Rose – local South African Woman’s Magazine – with regards to foods which contribute to learning and behavioural problems in children, 2006.
- Past-Chair AIT-IPF
- Current-Treasurer AIT-IPF
- International Board for Clinical Metal Toxicology
- 2008 – 2009 – Featured in International media for work in Punjab: Times of India, CNN, BBC World News, The Guardian, and many other national and international publications regarding the project she started where high levels of Uranium was found in children with severe disabilities in Punjab at the Baba Farid Centre for Special Children in Faridkot – www.stopuraniumpoisoning.webs.com
- 2009 – International Board of Clinical Metal Toxicology Award of Excellence for continuing dedication and commitment to the development and application of Clinical Metal Toxicology.
- Smit, C.S. (1996) – Home-Based Therapy Manual. SAILD.
- Smit, C.S. (1999) – NILD Mastery Manual – Rhythmic Writing – key to Neuro-Cognitive Reconstruction.
- Smit, C.S. (1999) – Rhythmic Writing – Key to Neuro-Cognitive Reconstruction. NILD Spring Conference, Pennsylvania.
- Smit, C.S. (1999) – Building Cognitive Skills – Harnessing Neural Plasticity to Change the way the Brain Thinks. NILD Spring Conference, Pennsylvania.
- Smit, C.S. (1999) – Auditory Techniques – Why are they so critical? NILD Spring Conference, Pennsylvania.
- Smit, C.S. (2000) – What is Neuro-Cognitive Reconstructive Therapy – Monograph.
- Smit, C.S. (2001) – The Early Identification, Classroom Management and Transformation of Learning Disabilities. NIELP Publication.
- Smit, C.S. (2001) – Research Survey into food Intolerance and ADD/ADHD/ other Intellectual Disabilities – Promoting Resilience of Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities – International Conference, East London, 3 – 5 October, 2001; SA ADD/ADHD National Conference – Cape Town, July, 2000.
- Smit, C.S. (1999/2000) – Healing of Memories Seminar. Synapse Africa Training Group.
- Smit, C.S. (2005) – Ear Infections hit deeper. http://www.remspeced.co.za/Articles/20051114_0001.htm
- Smit, C.S. (2005) – Genes, Environment and Diet – Autism in Perspective. Starfish Foundation, Dublin, Ireland (May 2005).
- Smit, C.S. (2006 – 2008) – Related Articles on Toxicity – www.detoxmychild.org
- a. Aspartame and Splenda
- Benefits of Probiotics and Gut Associated Lymphoid Tissue (GALT)
- Bérard AIT vs. Tomatis Method
- Disorders of the Basal Ganglia
- Hair Analysis Tips
- The Wonders of Magnesium
- Heavy Metals used in Dental / Orthodontic practices
- Not all metals are equal
- Smit, C.S. (2009) – Auditory Integration Training – International Practitioners’ Forum Practitioner Training Manual. Synapse Africa Neuro-Nutritional Clinic.
- Smit, C.S. (2009) – Intravenous Vitamin C – Nature’s Panacea? International Association for Oral Medicine and Toxicology Conference, Cape Town International Convention Centre, May.
- Smit, C.S. (2009) – Bérard Auditory Integration Training – Help for Autism. King Khalid University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, June.
- Smit, C.S. (2009) – Autism – Genes, Environment and Diet – Global Epidemic. AGM SA Association of Nutritional Therapists. Cape Town, October.
- Smit, C.S., Blaurock-Busch, E., Friedle, A., Godfrey, M., Schulte-Uebbing, E.E. (2010) – Metal Exposure in the Children of Punjab, India. Clinical Medical Insights: Therapeutics. 2010:2 655 – 661.