Archbishop Narcissus Marsh (1638-1713) built with his own money the first public library in Ireland, situated close to St. Patrick’s Cathedral. The library is now one of the few 18th century buildings in Dublin which is still used for its original purpose. March’s library contains four major collections: the Stillingfleet collection, the Elias Bouthéreau’s collection, March’s own books which also included an Oriental collection as well as mathematics, astronomy and a substantial collection of Latin Judaica; the fourth was bequethed in 1745 by bishop John Stearne, who was a major Irish collector.

Read More...